Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: upper stomach pain

 kelizabeth4 - Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:34 pm

Right below my sternum is hurting. It's not like constipation or cramping. It's like a sharp, constant pain in the whole area. I've tried eating different things and it isn't getting better. It hurts to push on it too. Please respond if you have any ideas. Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:20 am

User avatar Hi kelizabeth4,
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear pain in the upper stomach area (especially if its located more on the right side) is gallbaldder disfunction. Have you noticed any increase in pain with eating certain foods that contain a lot of fat or grease? I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor to rule out any gallbladder disfunction as well as any other problems.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us