Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Nissen fundoplication for hiatal hernia (twice) please help

 grandnanny 1 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Hello and thanks for this forum. I am looking for answers concerning complications I am having after two surgeries for my hiatal hernia one lapriscopic and one incisional. I have a drain tube still connected to my stomach 5 months after my last surgery. After the first surgery it took approximately 3 months before my stomach made its way back up in my esophagus again. and I am now experiencing the same type of pain I was having before the surgery and it is extreme. i am also experiencing nerve sensations in my left arm and right hand like pins and needles sticking my arm and hand. I am having pain in my left chest front and back. I am also having swallowing problems (liquids and solids). Is this common with healing from this type of surgery. I was told this surgery was irreversible and to just double up on my prevacid I can no longer regergitate nor burp. I have alot of gas (bubbling of the stomach) I have lost my job due to being out of work for 9 months, after 31 yrs. of service and I am so scared something has went wrong with the surgery. I need to know what are the complications of this type of surgery and I have tried to be positive but i am now facing the reality there may be a serious problem and I cant get no help from my surgeon other than time heals all pain. I don't know where else to turn so please help me if possible.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:02 pm

User avatar Hello -

I'm very sorry to hear you've had to have this surgery twice and that you're still having symptoms and a great deal of discomfort. This surgery has a mixed track record, so I have heard similar stories before. The good news is that there are now some new developments in the treatment not only of hiatal hernia but of incompetent lower espophagea sphincter, which is often a big part of the problem. If your surgeon and your gastroenterologist aren't helping and you're simply being told to deal with the pain and symptoms, I would most definitely seek a second opinion, preferably from a gastroenterologist associated with one of the larger teaching medical centers. I believe there is more that can be done, but you'll have to find someone who is very current on techniques for managing this problem.

Best of luck to you and please let us know if you are able to find anyone who will work aggressively with you on this.
 Cindisu - Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:59 am

grandnanny1, I am so sorry you are having more complications after having surgery #2 on the same type of problem.

I had the Nissen Fundoplication done in 1998 for a hiatal hernia and now have a paraesphogal hiatal hernia with the nissen wrap up under my heart as well. I have been told that this repair can not be done laproscopically like my first surgery. More than 1/2 of my stomach is up in my chest cavity and causes me alot of discomfort.

I posted about my problem, but do not see my post in this forum. So maybe one of the doc's will see this post and reply to me also.

I saw where the doc gave you advice on getting a second opinion and finding a teaching hospital specializing in Gastro problems. I wonder if the good Doc can recommone teaching hospitals. How does one find out where these hospitals are? My Gastro doc only recommends me going back to the same guy who did the Nissen procedure. Not sure that is the way to go since his first "work of art" didn't work. Now it's going to be a major surgery with chest tubes and all...UGH... ! I have put my surgery off for almost two years now and I saw my Gastro for my yearly check up and he said I was a "walking time bomb" and I need to have this surgery done ASAP.

So Doc....please give some info on where we can find these "teaching hospitals", PLEASE !!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:31 am

User avatar Hello Cindisu -

I'm sorry your original post was missed, and sorrier still that your original procedure didn't work well. One hears a lot of these stories, unfortunately.

Since there are quite a number of teaching hospitals around the country and I don't know where posters are located, here's a website you can use to locate one or more nearest your area:

Hopefully this will help you find what you're looking for. I wish you and grandnanny1 both all the best. Please keep us updated here.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us