Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Pain while having a bowel movement

jussy08 - Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:05 am

In the past couple of weeks I have been having pain whilst having bowel movements.

It can only be described as a sharp, stinging/burning sensation, and it only occurs when I am passing a bowel movement. The pain normally goes after a couple of seconds after the movement. Sometimes I have slight spotting of blood afterwards, but this tends to be only when I strain alot or there is a large bowel movement.

At first I thought it was due to me putting too much pressure when having a bowel movement, but now I am applying no pressure at all and it still hurts.

I am worried that this problem will not go away...
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:53 pm

From the description of the pain, the occasion of the pain, etc., it sounds like you may well have either a hemorrhoid or perhaps an anal fissure, either of which can cause these symptoms and can be caused by straining among other things.

If the problem doesn't resolve on its own you should bring this to the attention of a healthcare provider. While there are over-the-counter remedies for both these things, it's best to know exactly what you're treating, first, and secondly there are often more effective medications available by prescription.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.