Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Heart Burn?

eeyore girl - Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:22 am

I have had trouble the last few days with burning in my chest. Let me start out by saying though that the only thing that changed in this time is I did start a diet. Nothing extreme, just cutting back on food, counting calories, but since then I have noticed that once in a while it feels like my throat is tightening. Almost in a spasm, and then it burns all the way down to my chest. Not extremely painful, but more uncomfortable than anything. I can make it go away by just coughing. Also I noticed that taking a drink of water helps sometimes, other times when I take a drink it will be a sharper pain in the middle of my chest, and then it is also gone.I have been belching a lot more than normal too. It is also, for the last day painful to drink anything. Not when I eat, but just when I drink something it burns down to my stomach. As soon as it is down though, it is fine again.

I have noticed that it happens more frequently at work, but I wouldn't know why that would be. I work overnights, and that is when they are scrubbing and using the burners on the floors, so a lot of dust is flying around, and I am very allergic to dust, so I don't know if that would have something to do with it or not. I have also worked there for two years in January though, so I would think it would have happened before now if that was it.

All in all, it is more annoying than anything. I thought maybe acid reflux, with the burning, but I'm not at all sure, after i looked that up. Any help would be appreciated.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:47 am

User avatar Hi!

It sure seems like GERD/reflux. Did you visit your doctor?

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us