Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: hard bony lump below sternum

Alvaro - Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:50 pm

I´ve had some gastric trouble over the last year,mild nausea, abdominal pain and gastresophagial reflux...Now right below my sternum I ve found this hard body that seems to be almos t as hard as bone (almost ,as it might be a bit softer than bone) . It can t be moved when touched and does not cause pain ,except when pushed a little harder.What can it be? Could it be ralated to the gastric symptoms I show ? Thanks a lot for this service.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:19 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is very difficult to tell what this lump could be without direct clinical examination.
What I can think of according to your description is that it may be related to the bone like the lower end of the sternum or the attached rib, or a subcutaneous mass like lipoma.

Sometimes after losing weight the sternum (or part of it, upper or lower end) become more prominent and can be felt as a lump, however the lump is felt as hard, not mobile, in continuation with the sternum.

While lipoma is felt as a soft to firm mass, that is mobile, with well defined border.

It might be also just a contracted muscle.

As you can see direct clinical examination and any associated symptoms or signs are very essential in the diagnosis of any lump.

I would advise you to seek direct clinical examination, to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us