Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Right Abdominal Sensation

 tmternes - Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:06 am

Hello everyone,
I hope there is a doctor that may help me shed some light on a sensation I have been feeling on my right side for around 3 months now. I am a 38 year old white male, non smoker/drinker. I am 25 lbs. overweight, 6'0 tall, 235 lbs. I cannot get in to see my Gastroenterologist until mid October and I am anxious. Around 3 months or so ago, I started noticing a sensation roughly 3 inches below my nipple (upper right abdomen?). I say sensation, because it does not hurt, rather, it is more of an annoyance, and I am always aware that it is there. However, if I take my hand and press down in that area fairly hard, I will then feel some discomfort. I seem to notice it a bit more when I awaken. I cannot definitively say if I notice it more at any certain part of the day. It is constantly there. I have went to 2 doctors now. Both of them thought it might be an abdominal wall tear, but they said it would go away in a couple of weeks. It hasn't. I had x-rays and all looked good. My bloodwork checked out ok for the obvious (appendicitis, gallstones, kidney, etc.). I do suffer from acid reflux and I take Pantaloc 2 times a day. My only symptoms that I have ever had regarding the acid reflux is the feeling of something in my throat, and during my sleep, I occasionally had acid come up into my mouth when sleeping (12 or so times over 1 year). As well, my ALT Liver enzyme is elevated and an ultrasound has confirmed fatty liver. As well, my Iron is slightly elevated, and my good cholesterol is a little low. Simply put, I am out of shape and I have made steps to correct. I used to be a very fit athlete, but over the last few years I have gone away from it. Any help would be REALLY appreciated! As I am writing this I can feel this sensation, and the best way to describe it, would be that I am doing a situp and as I am coming up I turn to the right side and I hold the crunch. One more note: I do not know if I am starting to make up symptoms in my head, but over the last week, it feels as though my entire stomach is sensitive to the touch. My mom says the Helicobacter bug, or something like that. My mom has had polyps in the colon removed that I am told are hereditary. I apologize if I put in too much useless information, but I am trying to give you as much detail as possible. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:27 pm

User avatar Hi there -

The doctors could very well be correct about an abdominal wall tear, but it actually does sound rather like things one hears from some patients who suffer from fatty liver. Fatty liver is not necessarily a serious problem, although it can become so depending on a lot of things, but generally just needs to be followed periodically by your doctor, mainly with blood tests to be certain the enzymes don't get too far out of line. This would seem to be a more logical explanation for a vague sensation such as you describe (and very well, I might add). It's also the correct location.

If this is due to abdominal wall tear, it will resolve with time. By the same token, if it is due to fatty liver, it could also resolve if the problem improves. If the liver problem worsens, the upper right quadrant discomfort would likely become worse also, so you could use that as something of a barometer.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us