Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in Upper Abdomen - Right Side - under Ribcage

 aman1joh - Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:51 pm

I have intermittent pain under ribcage on right side; sometimes burning sensation; distended abdomen as well; also off and on tingling along spine. What are some possible causes for this?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02 pm

User avatar Hello -

Some possible causes of the symptoms you describe are: gastritis (excessive stomach acid production), gallstones, inflammation of the liver, or, farther away from the internal medical stuff, it could be a nerve problem located in your spine, which is causing pain to radiate to your upper right quadrant.

Best thing you can do is to have an MD check you and rule out the more serious possibilities (or treat them). If it is a nerve problem then you may be referred to an orthopedist or neurologist. It's difficult to know with any certainty, from a distance, especially when there are so many possible causes.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us