Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdominal Pain - Constipation

ScubaSteve - Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:47 am

Symptoms:
∙Had a "tearing sensation" followed by a "warming sensation" in the lateral lower abdomen while trying to have a bowl movement
∙Dull sensation (uncomfortable) left oblique, feels like it is around the transversus abdominus muscle (in depth) down to where it nearly meets the pectinius muscle
∙Dull sensation (uncomfortable) on the exterior lowest left rib (May not be related)
∙Stool is firm yet unformed (not a full healthy stool sample) comes out in bits instead of a single log.
∙Gas is a regular occurrence

Previous Medical history:
Depression
∙ADD
Anxiety

Medications (M) / Vitamins (V):
(M) ∙Just started on Wellbutrin (300mg)
(V) ∙Acedopholis
(V) ∙Omega 3 (2000mg)
(V) ∙Adapton (200mg)
(V) ∙ Berry Extracts
(V) ∙ Grape Seed Extracts
(V) ∙ Rhodiola
(V) ∙ Co Q10 (100mg)
(V) ∙ DMAE (390 mg)

Currently receiving Neurofeedback as a treatment for my medical history.

Suggestions thus far from my psychiatrist said that it may be a hernia. I am thinking a femoral hernia if it is such. He said that I should have a surgeon cut me open or do a colonoscopy.

I am looking for other possible answers to this problem to present to my doctor when I see him again.

ScubaSteve
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:26 pm

User avatar Hello -

From your description of the onset, it does sound as though there's at least a good chance that something herniated. A colonoscopy might be helpful, but a barium enema or even a CT scan with contrast may do the trick. If there's no herniation evident then a colonoscopy would be more likely to be required to rule out some other problem in the colon.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us