Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: EPIGASTRIAL pain ,vomiting please help

 mamapinson - Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:36 am

I have pain,in my upper abdomen,that ocures about 2 hrs after eating,the pain gets worse,until I throw up,or get the dry heaves,then I fell better,until I eat again.This starts after lunch,and continues until I go to bed.It has been going on everyday for 3 wks.Went to ER ,was dehydrated,given IV FLUIDS.Infection count was high 19000.One wk later went to doctor infection cnt 14000,was dehrated,spent the wkend in hostpital with iv,felt better didnt hurt in hostpital.The day after I came home,started doing it again.This pain radiates through to my back.I have every symptom of gallbladder problems,but every test including hida scan is normal.I have had a hida scan,ct scan ultra sound,and upper gi series.I had a laproscopic nissen for hiatel hernia and acid reflux about 8 yrs ago,and havent had the heart burn since,but could this be something from this surgery?I also know that I have alot of scar tissue,adhesions.I had a hysterectomy 8 yrs ago.My bowels were wrapped around something.I am so sick,I honestly feel like I am dying.Do you have any suggestions?I don't have any health insurance either.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 pm

User avatar Hello -

Because of the high white blood cell (WBC) count, you almost certainly have some sort of infection going on and it should be diagnosed and treated. It could be related to your gallbladder, although the tests have all been negative for that. It also could be gastritis or a gastric ulcer, caused by a bacteria, h. pylori, which is often the cause of these symptoms. If so, since what you describe does sound a lot like gastritis or an ulcer, treatment with antibiotics would stop the problem. If testing for h. pylori yields no results then you probably would need to have an endoscopy (a scope is directed down the esophagus so the inside of the stomach can be visualized). You certainly cannot continue to simply endure these symptoms. Not having health insurance makes it more difficult, but your first responsibility is to yourself, and since this is unlikely to go away on its own, you may need to present yourself at an ER for evaluation and go from there.

Ideally this wouldn't be necessary, especially if you test positive for h.pylori, which seems possible given the high WBC. I don't think this is related to your previous hiatal hernia repair, mainly because of the high WBC and likelihood of infection, but there could be some association because of the location of the symtpoms.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you, and please do follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us