Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: My wife has a problem...please help!!!

 chrismo - Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:18 pm

Dear Dr.

My wife is having trouble going to the bathroom. We think she has siliac disease but we are not sure. She is currently using Zelnorm to help her make bowel movements but she constantly gets gas bubbles and is unable to find any consistency in going to the bathroom. We have tried metamucil, fibercon and just about every stool softener on the market.

Is there a possibility she has a blockage in her intestines?

Can a high colonic help

Is there any treatment or medical procedure (surgery) that could help her?

Please help

 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:31 am

User avatar Hi chrismo,
Xrays, a barium swallow, barium enema, and colonoscopy are some of the tests that can be performed to rule out any anomolies of the upper and lower intestinal tract. She and you may want to discuss some of these tests with your doctor. Generally with celiac disease you have diarrhea rather than constipation. If she has celiac disease, gluten which is in wheat, barley and oats act like poison in the intestine in people with this disease. For constipation or irregularities, a balanced diet, plently of water and exercise are important keys. If she has made diet changes that haven't worked and the medications aren't working either, please consider discussing this with your family doctor for other interventions or diagnostic testing.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us