Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Confused with Right Side Pain

 jmurd43 - Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:17 pm

For almost 3 weeks I have been having severe right upper abdominal pain. I spent 9 days in the hospital and the doctors there could not figure out what was wrong with me. I had many blood test, urine tests, xrays, ultrasounds and a CT scan. Everything came back normal. I also had bad nausea and I had no energy at all and fever. I had some pain in my shoulders but as a swimmer, that is normal. In ER, the doctors were all very sure that I had a gallbladder problem. Once I had a ultrasound, they determined that everything looked normal. They then told me that it was a "muscle strain". For the amount of pain that I was in and the other symptoms, I could not believe that. Finally they released me after 7 days, saying that it was a virus. After a couple of days at home I returned to the hospital as there was no improvement. They redid the blood tests and the ultrasound and still found that everything looked normal. I am now at home and the pain and nausea still persist. Is there anyway that it could still be my gallbladder and they have just missed it? Should I return to the hospital even though all the tests have come back negative? I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:19 am

User avatar Hi jmurd43,
Sometimes blood tests, ultrasounds etc. can rule everything "normal" even if there is an abnormality. A more difinative test for gallbladder disfunction is a hidascan. I would suggest that you discuss this particular test with your doctor. I hope this helps.
 ksweetie2577 - Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:45 pm

i have had the same pain for about a month and a half and the doctors did the same tests and everything came back normal they even sent me to a surgen and he said it was just a virus. After dealing with the pain for a few more weeks they sent me for the hydascan and it showed disfuction in my gallbladder

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us