Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Confused with Right Side Pain

jmurd43 - Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:17 pm

For almost 3 weeks I have been having severe right upper abdominal pain. I spent 9 days in the hospital and the doctors there could not figure out what was wrong with me. I had many blood test, urine tests, xrays, ultrasounds and a CT scan. Everything came back normal. I also had bad nausea and I had no energy at all and fever. I had some pain in my shoulders but as a swimmer, that is normal. In ER, the doctors were all very sure that I had a gallbladder problem. Once I had a ultrasound, they determined that everything looked normal. They then told me that it was a "muscle strain". For the amount of pain that I was in and the other symptoms, I could not believe that. Finally they released me after 7 days, saying that it was a virus. After a couple of days at home I returned to the hospital as there was no improvement. They redid the blood tests and the ultrasound and still found that everything looked normal. I am now at home and the pain and nausea still persist. Is there anyway that it could still be my gallbladder and they have just missed it? Should I return to the hospital even though all the tests have come back negative? I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:19 am

User avatar Hi jmurd43,
Sometimes blood tests, ultrasounds etc. can rule everything "normal" even if there is an abnormality. A more difinative test for gallbladder disfunction is a hidascan. I would suggest that you discuss this particular test with your doctor. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 ksweetie2577 - Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:45 pm

i have had the same pain for about a month and a half and the doctors did the same tests and everything came back normal they even sent me to a surgen and he said it was just a virus. After dealing with the pain for a few more weeks they sent me for the hydascan and it showed disfuction in my gallbladder

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us