Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Pain in upper abdomen

Kazzy - Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:46 am

Last night just before dinner i got a sharp pain in my upper abdomen (above my belly button, just below my ribs). I figured that it was just indegestion or something so wasn't worried. It eased off within a few minutes.

After eating my dinner (which was the same size meal i always eat) I felt very full and bloated even though i hadn't eaten alot and the pain was worse. After a few minutes the pain got worse still to the point i had to lay down and moving hurt ALOT. It eased off for a little while to where i could move more but didn't go away. The pain started getting worse again though a short time later and ended up to the point where i can barely stand up and the only way i could get a little relief was to lay very still. Although the pain was mostly in my upper abdomen (right in the center just below my ribs) it also hurt in my back (both sides of my back just above waste hight) espessially when i stood up.

Is this just indegestion or something else? I've had indegestion before but never this bad and it's never usually lasted this long.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:53 am

User avatar Hi Kazzy,
From what you describe it sounds like you may have some gallbladder problems.
I would suggest you call your family physician to have a work up done.