Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Long term chronic Right Sided abdominal pain

 jannyscot - Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 pm

I have been suffering long term acute and chronic right sided pain since April 2007. I have been admitted to the emergency department on numerous occasions over the months since this started. I had CT scans, MRI scans, blood and urine tests. The scans came back clear on every occasion. THe bloods showed infections and the urine test always show blood present. I do suffer from Endometriosis and fybroids although both of these have been ruled out as the cause of this pain.

I had an appendectomy in April 2008 and this removed the acute pain. However the Chronic pain still remains. The pain radiates from my groin (the crease between my leg and my body), through my lower abdomin (when it is very bad it hurts in my lower back), right up my right side to my arm. My arm feels tingely like the blood is rushing really fast through it, strange since I have low blood pressure. I have been to 5 different specialists who have all told me there is nothing wrong and that is could be depression.

I have started to see a pain specialist, who gave me injections into my side (a mixture of nerve relaxants and steroids) this caused me to be admitted to hospital 3 days later with a pulmonary embolism. This could be a result of my endometriosis and some breaking off as the doctors have been unable to find any other reason.

I am at my wits end and any advice/guidance you can give would be received greatfully.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

User avatar Hello Jan,

While it seems you've been to all the right specialists, this is a really perplexing problem, and I suspect this may be a nerve issue. Of course the pain specialist thought so also, and was probably a neurologist as well, but I think your best bet right now would be to see a full-service neurologist who will try and identify the pathyway of this pain, if not the root cause (although one may well lead to the other). You would appear to have several different things going on at once, which is hardly unusual, but it often confuses the picture for clinicians who tend to focus on one thing and try to find it.

I'm sorry I can't give you more than this, but I will refer your case (please forgive the word "case") to a couple of different teams here to see if someone else may have more insight into what's going on. In the meantime, please follow up with us as needed. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us