Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach pain after eating and misex color stools

 md1984 - Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi! I've had stomach pains throughout the day especially after eating and often in the morning when i wake up for the past two months. I can't gain weight and lately my stools have been of mixed color. I've done a barium meal test, H.Pylori breath test, full blood test, liver blood test, coeliac screen test and an ultrasound. They didn't find anything wrong with me. Two weeks ago i did a Nutrition Response Test and the doc said that i have some sort of bug and that i have to take certain food supplements (which i have been doing). Two weeks later and i still feel the same. Should i stick to the supplements or see someone else? Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am

User avatar Hi there -

You've had most all of the appropriate tests to rule out most of the more serious problems (successfully) but not a cholecystogram nor HIDA scan, either of which can be used to determine if the gallbladder is the seat of the problem. Based on the symptoms you describe it is entirely possible this could be the case. I'd strongly suggest you request gallbladder problems to be ruled out.

Meanwhile, as far as the Nutrition Response Test and subsequent "findings" and recommendations go, clearly they're not working for you. Nutritional response testing is part of the field of "applied kinesiology", a rather questionable subset of alternative medicine which has been rather soundly debunked as unscientific (despite the use, by its practitioners, of the word "scientific"), and does not conform to any truly scientific principles (for instance, determining you have an unspecified "bug" -- meaning bacterial or viral infection -- based upon a hands-on, non-laboratory-based "reading" of the reactivity of your muscles, etc.).

Yes, I would most definitely recommend you "see someone else", preferably a medical doctor and, more preferably yet, a specialist in gastroenterology (ENT), who can properly evaluate and treat whatever is causing your symptoms. This may well lead you to have the possibility of gallbladder problems explored. I have a feeling this may be what's causing your symptoms, but there's no way to be certain without a scientific medical examination.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us