Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: constant bloating feeling in upper stomach

kevygrl - Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:35 pm

hi,

Im a 21 yr female. in the past 2 days i have experience this constant feeling of fullness in my upper stomach also known has "pit" of the stomach. occasionally i will also get a burning feeling in that same area.. It seems to be worst at night.. usually in the early hrs of the morning and i get nausea.. everytime i eat something i can only eat a little bit because i will fill very full and get a little bit nauseous.. I haven't really been able to sleep because of these constant feelings.. My sleeping habit is a little bad.. Most of the time i wont go to sleep till 4am and wont wake up till 2pm.. My eating habits are horrible to.. usually only eat once a day and its usually greasy fast food.. I havent gone to the doctor yet for these problems.. Please help!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:56 pm

User avatar Hello -

What you're describing could be any number of things, from a simple stomach "bug" to gastritis (and possible gastric ulcer). The bloated feeling often accompanies GI viral infections, and since this has only been going on for a couple days could be due to a virus. It also could be due to your (admittedly) poor diet, mainly in terms of something having "disagreed" with you.

If your complaint doesn't resolve on its own within a few more days then you'll need to be seen by a "live" medical doctor, but first give this a couple days to clear up on its own, since there is every chance it's a stomach virus and may get worse before it gets better, but even so, should run its course in less than a week.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck, and follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us