Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: bad stomach pain after drinking alcohol

pillowhead11 - Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:52 pm

I use to drink heavily for the past 4 years until my stomach had an adverse reaction to alcohol. Once i drink alcohol now, It feels like i'm drinking battery acid. It's a very painfull feeling that leaves me nauseous and sick... but i can't do nothing about it for about 8 hours. I tried burping which helps for about 20 seconds... i can't really self induce a throw up and no matter how nauseous i get .. i don't throw up. on a good note, I havn't drank for 4 months. What is wrong with my stomach?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Yes, the good news is you're not drinking, especially since it seems to disagree with you pretty badly.

The most likely cause of your violent reaction to alcohol is that you've developed gastritis (an inflammation of the stomach lining) or an actual gastric ulcer. Alchohol will often cause pretty severe irritation when it comes into contact with an irritated stomach lining.

Because you don't mention any other times when anything like this happens I'd want to also rule out any liver involvement. A visit to a doctor (preferably a GI specialist) and some blood work to check your red cell count and liver enzymes would be a good idea. If you do have any milder stomach symptoms now that you're not drinking, please follow up with us and describe them. Otherwise, please do get yourself seen just to rule out any potential problem like an ulcer (which could bleed without much warning). Follow up with us once you've been seen or if you have anything to add here, now, about the symptoms. Best of luck to you.