Question: Mild heartburn after eating undercooked pork

brewster39 - Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 am

A little over a week ago I cooked some ham which turned out to be a bit underdone (140 degrees or so). I ate it anyway, and since then I've had mild heartburn every time I eat. This is very rare for me, so I looked into it and found that a symptom of trichinosis can be heartburn. Should I be concerned, and if so is there anything I can do about it? Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:48 am

Today's pork is not as dangerous as it was in the past and while we recommend cooking meat appropriately, I would not expect heartburn to be the result of a foodborne illness. This is probably coincidental.