Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Blood on toilet paper

pitthockey15 - Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm

I am a 26 year old male and I have had small spots of blood on the toilet paper after a bowel movement for as long as I can remember (since about age 6 or 7). It is sometimes worse than others, but home stool guiac tests have shown to be negative. Though my grandfather's diagnosis of colon cancer was attributed to a diet of almost all red meat and alcoholism, I can't help but wonder if this is somehow a predisposing symptom. My father has chronic thombocytopenia and is symptomatic; a simple splinter in his finger will bleed for an hour. I do not have similar symptoms. I recently sliced a large gash in my hand with a knife which clotted in minutes. On external examination there is no visible tear nor a visible hemorrhoid. My mother states that I first brought the blood to her attention at age 6 but never followed up with a doctor for this particular symptom. My stool is normal color and there has never been any blood on my underwear or visible blood outside the rectum, only on the toilet paper. Is this something I should follow up on with a doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am

If you have not had an exam by a doctor in a while it would not hurt to check this out but it sounds like you have had guiac testing so I suspect it could be an internal hemorrhoid you cannot see. Taking cautionary measures as with eating high fiber foods, maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding constipation would be wise. It is also good that you are considering your family health history so you can share this information with your doctor and follow recommendations for colonoscopy screening perhaps beginning at an earlier age than is typical just to be sure.