Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain In Chest/Abdomen Right Side Below Ribs

 jonesey - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi. Yesterday evening I started to get this pain in the chest/abdomen on the right side a bit below the ribs. Now I have to walk hunched forward or lie down to avoid the pain. The pain is dull and the area is tender if I press it at the right spot. This has been going on for around 10 hours so far. I seem to have no other symptoms at the moment, but a few days ago I had some sharp needle like pains between my scrotum and rectum, could've been the urethra, going on for a few weeks but they have gone away. Dunno if these two are related.

What could it be?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
The scrotum pain and right upper abdominal pain can be related when considering a kidney stone...or urinary tract infection included kidney infection.

Other possible causes of acute right upper abdominal are gall bladder disease (including acute inflamation), liver disease, lower right lung inflamation or infection, colon issues, and stomach problems.

With numerous potential causes, it is important to have a physician evaluate you.

Is there any nausea or vomiting, any cough, any fever? Any constipation or diarrhea? Does the pain improve or worsen with food or fluid intake...or after having a bowel movement.

Related to the first point, does it hurt to pee?

Again, seek medical attention.

Let us know how things turn out.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us