Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: High Bilirubin Enzyme Levels!!Please Help!

Sebby718 - Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:52 am

I have a 4.0 mg/dl level of TOT Bilirubin and a 0.9 mg/dl of DIR (direct?) Bilirubin.
My doctor performed an ultra scan and ran hepatitis tests on my Liver,but she found nothing wrong! I am due back at her office for another appointment next week.Can someone please tell me if i should still worry?What are the causes of having such a high bilirubin level?And does that mean i have a 3.1 mg/dl of INDIRECT Bilirubin?
Please help!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:26 pm

User avatar Dear Sebby718,
An elevation of bilirubin levels of 4.0 is abnormal. Because your bilirubin is mainly indirect it is suggestive of hemolytic anemia. You should have a blood count performed and a reticulocyte count. Once hemolysis is established, the cause is determined using the clinical history, Coombs' test and red cell morphology on blood smear.

For a more thorough understanding please visit our anemia page.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us