Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: excessive amount of gas and constipation

pugdogs1 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:29 pm

I have been "irregular" all of my life, having a bowel movement an average of once a week. When I try to get extra fiber in my diet, I get an excessive amount of gas. I have to eat Gas-X like candy, and have to eat more than the recommended dosage to get rid of my gas. Is this normal or should I see a doctor?
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Some people do get embarrasingly amouts of gas from dietary supplements and fiber rich foods like beans etc. If the increased gas is painful or interferring with your life then you should see your doctor, otherwise it may just be something that you have to deal with. Have you tried using a laxative like Miralax? It may give you the stimulation you need to move your bowels without all the excessive gas.