Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: pain/nausea prior to BM

rhlucius - Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Last week I felt quite ill to my stomach and had some "greasy" like stools with what appears to be some mucus. I didn't eat and felt better later in the day. Two days later I ate a big meal and the next morning felt bad. After several BMs I sat in a chair and upon having a discussion with a friend passed out and had to be taken home. I later vomited that evening, but about 12 hours later felt fine albeit weak. I ate light for several days and felt OK but still some mild symptoms related to my BMs. My stomach has continued to not feel right and just this morning I had 2 BMs and felt quite a bit of pain prior to each BM and nausea. I ate a normal sized dinner the night before.

I thought I just had some sort of stomach virus but I've never had anything linger this long (9 days). Any thoughts, suggestions, or insights?

Also, I had a physical about 2 months ago that included a blood fecal test. Results were negative and all other results of my physical were normal.

Any help is most appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:38 pm

I trust you are feeling better now. Just to answer your question though what you had could have been an acute gastroenteritis. It can last for up to 14 days.

If it lasts more than that you should seek medical attention.