Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: excessive eructation

dr_manno - Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:46 pm

hi i have excessive eructation since four months firstly i think it is stress related as i was having my final exams but it is still present till now become related to meals, as it increased become stronger with hungry i also have dry mouth but no hyperventilation thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 pm

User avatar Hi there --

I think you seem to have some notion of what's causing this, as you mention hyperventilation. While you may not be hyperventilating, there are other sorts of faulty breathing associated with stress and anxiety, and one is deep sighing with consequent swallowing of air (unwittingly). This is where most of our eructated "gas" comes from anyway, and the more burping we have to do, usually the more air we're swallowing without realizing it. If you're sighing a lot you may not be hyperventilating, but it's similar, and will cause the dry mouth also.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed. Good luck to you.