Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Can Giardia be detected with a colonoscopy?

i12tup - Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:06 pm

My Vet. found Giardia in our dog. He said I should tell my doctor. My wife is having a colonoscopy tomorrow. Will it find Giardia if it is present?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:54 pm

User avatar Hello--

While giardia may show up during the course of colonoscopy, it probably would not, at least unless it had had time to establish a colony (which would be in the small intestine), so the chances of finding it, even if present, is pretty slim this early on. It's worth mentioning to the doctor performing the scope anyway, just in case, and at least this way a sample could be collected at conclusion of the procedure.

The best way to deal with any possible cross-contamination is to treat the problem symptomatically if symptoms of giardiasis should show up in your wife. This seems fairly unlikely but isn't out of the question, so just be sure she recalls this could be the case in the event she develops lower GI symptoms.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck to you both.