Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain below ribs

natbat - Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:21 pm

i think i posted something in the wrong area.. this forum seems to better suit it.. so i'll copy and paste what i had said :roll:

hey, i'm new to this board... i found it through googling and was hoping someone could possibly answer my questions.
here's what's been going:
last may i had severe stomach pain, to the point i would almost pass out or actually would. i couldn't keep food down and i could barely even move because it'd just aggrevate the pain. that lasted me a few weeks all the while i also had hives covering my entire body.. so, the focus was pretty much on that and not on my stomach pain. i did do an ultrasound back then and never heard a word about it.

a few nights ago i got the very same pain.. and again today. i'm wondering if it's cause for concern or not because i can't just go to the doctor's when i feel like it. it's a very difficult situation. as well, it just happens now and then.. it's not constant other then lasting about 5 hours or so.. then it goes away.
i don't vomit now, i can move around and it's not as bad as it was in may.. although it's bad enough that i have to hold my stomach to lessen the pain. stretching it helps as well. i feel a bit of a more so tender spot on the left side under my ribs.. as well, afterwards i felt a bit bloated and gassy.. kind of.. i still haven't eaten yet and it's now 6pm. i have a complete loss of apetite. the whole thing lasted over 4 hours..
what couldt his be? in may the only explanation i got was possible gallbladder attacks.. but i thought that was on the right side? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
 natbat - Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:11 pm

anyone? *blinks* it's now beena day and i still have a total loss of apetite although i force fed myself... wasn't tasty, but at least i ate. i got the pain again last night although it was dull and mild in comparison..

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us