Question: Can you drink aloe vera gel whilst taking immune supressants

helensuzanne - Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:06 pm

I have crohns disease and have found out drinking aloe vera gel is very good for your digestive system. However I take azathioprine which is a immune supressant drug. because aloe vera gel also boosts your immune system I am wondering if I can drink this whilst taking azathioprine as it seems to do the opposite.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 pm

While aloe is an immune enhancer, theoretically at least, it doesn't work in the same way azathioprine, so won't interfere with its action. The aloe may, in fact, have a soothing effect on the mucosa of the GI tract, which, if it works for you, should be fine. It won't interfere with the pharmaceutical immunosuppressants, so should be okay to continue to use.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.