Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sometimes hurts when I swallow...

bharata_haridasi - Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:05 am

Dear Doctor,

I am a 40/year-old female with no known illnesses. I have trouble swallowing and it is scary. It feels as if a rock is passing through my chest area when I eat. This does not happen all of the time but it is becomming more common. I have no medical insurance for now so a doctor's visit is out. In three months, I should be able to get insurance from a job I just started.

Thank-you
 Mzjournalist - Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:23 pm

Hey there.. Look, I'm not a doctor or whatever, but THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME.. I have been to the doctor on SEVERAL Occasions for the same problem.. When I went, they told me it could be a number of things, but then when he looked at me, he said that my tonsils were swelling so large that when I swallowed, it was causing me severe pain. In fact, it was horrible because I didn't even have to be eating anything to feel it, I could just be simply swallowing saliva or just sitting and clearing my throat or something, and it felt as if something was STUCK. They gave me a sore throat spray (it didn't work), and then some penicillin (it worked for the time being), but it came back in a few months. My best friend is a med student and she said check to see if you have any more symptoms besides the swelling of the throat (ear aches, difficult breathing, etc..) She said that a sore throat can be caused by several things and the more symptoms she knows, she can give you a better answer..

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us