Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: abdominal pain

 mrshk - Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:43 pm

There was a period of time where I was having a lot of pain on the right side of my abdomin. I also had a few weird periods. A couple of days before my one period I had some clear brown discharge. Then my period was very clotted and only lasted a couple of days. I was out of the country and did have an ultrasound done. The ultrasound showed that I had a couple of cysts. I returned to the states 2 months later. I was still experiencing the pain and had my next period was also very clotted. However, I went to a doctor to find out what to do about the cysts. She sent me to have another ultrasound and it showed that I did not have the cysts, yet I was still experiencing the pain. Sex is also very painful for me on the right side of my abdomin. I also seem to lack a sex drive. I feel so bad for my husband. I had an MRI also done to see if they could find anything, but once again nothing was found. Occassionally I still have the pain. The pain is not as often as it was 3 months ago, but I still have the pain. My gynocologist suggested going in with a scope to get a closer look. I am not that keen on having anyone cut me for anything. I am not sure how good my gynocolgist is. She called me to tell me that nothing was found and that was end of story after the MRI. And when I told her about lack of sex drive she told me welcome to the club. Well, that just not seem like a good answer. I am young and have only been married for a year. That just seems like a big disappointment. Please help. I just don't know what to do from here. Thank you in advance.
 NikkyLeClair - Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:49 pm

I know how fustrating it is. My pain on the L has been going on for 4 month, and everything keeps coming up neg. except, my uterus is enlarged. Were you ever noted to have this? Does it hurt to wear pants that press on your pelvis? How long after sex does your pain last? Mine last for 2-3 days. I am slowly losing hope that my GYN will ever find a cause. Originall she was going to do a laproscopy, but then she said since she couldn't find any evidence of endometriosis/adenomyosis that she wanted to hold off. I'm sure you understand how it feels to think that there may never be resolution to the pain. I'll let you know if we reach a diagnosis that is appropriate to your situation, and I certainly would like to hear if they come up with one for you.

Nikky, MA
 mrshk - Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:13 pm

I have not been noted to have an enlarged uterus. Everything seems to be fine when it comes to the size of my uterus. I do not experience pain if I wear pants on my pelvic area. The pain after sex does seem to last for about 2-3 days. However, my pain is pretty constant. Sex just seems to flare the pain a bit more. I was supposed to have a loproscopy done, but never made the appointment. I wanted to see what the MRI showed first. But they did not see anything. My gyno did want to do the laproscopy anyways just to see if she could see something at a closer angle. I just don't want to be cut open. Just like you, I feel that there is not going to be an answer to my problem. This only worries me because I do not know if that is a positive or negative. My husband would like for me to do the laproscopy in fear of not being able to have children. This is not a concern of mine at this point. Just would like to keep that option open. I have not seen anymore doctors since december due to lack of belief in a resolution. It sounds like you may be worse than I since you are having pain while wearing pants on your pelvis. I hope an answer is found for you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us