Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Excessive gas and sleeping after eating.

perfect.visual - Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:03 am

First and foremost, I would like to state that I have hypoglycemia. I'm not too sure if it could be related to my problem, but I'm not a doctor!

A few months ago, I would become extremely tired after eating and would fall asleep immediately (about 10 minutes after eating). I just became so completely exhausted and dizzy. I would usually sleep for about 16 hours. The doctor suggested I had celiac disease. I cut all wheat products out of my diet for about a month. It made little to no difference. The blood test came back negative to celiac disease. I also tried taking pills for lactose intolerance, same result.

I now continue to eat wheat products and have not had an "attack," if you will. However, I have become a lot more gaseous. I used to not burp very much, but now I burp very loudly and powerfully about 5-20 times in a row, at least 10 times a day. I also have extreme gas at night.

The doctor told me its because I have allergies and swallow too much air. I started taking allergy medicine, but the symptoms have persisted. I don't know what to do and it's interfering with life and is very uncomfortable. I have stomach gas all the time! I'm not sure what kind of problem I have or what I should look toward.

Any help at all is highly appreciated. Thank you and good day!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 am

User avatar Hi,Aerophagia is the condition reffered to and best for you to sleep for some time in a semi inclined position.Do take food smaller quantity more times.Less carbohydrates would be ideal,with more of fruits in the diet.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us