Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Excessive gas and sleeping after eating.

perfect.visual - Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:03 am

First and foremost, I would like to state that I have hypoglycemia. I'm not too sure if it could be related to my problem, but I'm not a doctor!

A few months ago, I would become extremely tired after eating and would fall asleep immediately (about 10 minutes after eating). I just became so completely exhausted and dizzy. I would usually sleep for about 16 hours. The doctor suggested I had celiac disease. I cut all wheat products out of my diet for about a month. It made little to no difference. The blood test came back negative to celiac disease. I also tried taking pills for lactose intolerance, same result.

I now continue to eat wheat products and have not had an "attack," if you will. However, I have become a lot more gaseous. I used to not burp very much, but now I burp very loudly and powerfully about 5-20 times in a row, at least 10 times a day. I also have extreme gas at night.

The doctor told me its because I have allergies and swallow too much air. I started taking allergy medicine, but the symptoms have persisted. I don't know what to do and it's interfering with life and is very uncomfortable. I have stomach gas all the time! I'm not sure what kind of problem I have or what I should look toward.

Any help at all is highly appreciated. Thank you and good day!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 am

User avatar Hi,Aerophagia is the condition reffered to and best for you to sleep for some time in a semi inclined position.Do take food smaller quantity more times.Less carbohydrates would be ideal,with more of fruits in the diet.