Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Prednisone Water Weight

mefforft - Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:28 am

I'm a 28 year old who was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis nearly 10 years ago. I've dealt with the ups and downs of taken prednisone for nearly a decade, and it never gets easier, my specific annoyance is the dramatic increase in water weight. Recently a new idea was proposed to me by a friend. Would sitting in a Sauna 15 - 20 minutes a day help to counteract this increase in water weight? I've recently gotten off of prednisone yet again, however, still have "moonface" and "hunch back". Do you think that this could help me to shed this weight faster?

Thanks!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:14 am

The 'moon face' and 'buffalo hump' in people on long term steroid therapy
(or abuse) are NOT the result of retained body water( retention of body water does occur - and this is responsible for the weight gain) but due to "Redistribution" of body fat.

Therefore,whether sitting in the sauna will help, i am not certain...But, after full withdrawal of steroids, presumably it should recover on its own.

Good luck!