Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Frequent Stomach Cramps Irregular Stool Movements

zulu_kilo - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I have been having stomach cramps, at irregular times, sometimes lasting several hours. This has been ongoing for around a month now.

I have been eating an almost consistant diet, even when I was away.

I need to go to the toilet every 2-3 hours, especially in the mornings, sometimes when I first wakeup, two visits within 20 minutes.

My stools vary everytime, from virtually 100% fluid, to constipation, then sometimes just ALOT of gas
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:21 pm

User avatar Hi,
If you happen to live in the tropics or sub- tropical regions, first thing you should do is to consult your GP and get a stool examination done to exclude helminthic infestations and parasitic diseases such as giardiasis or amebiasis.
Even otherwise, it is advisable especially if you travel a lot.
You complaint is fairly recent. In case it should continue, you will need further work up under medical guidance.
Good day!
 Kvincench - Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:37 pm

I have a similar case in which started on July 1st 2010. I think what i have is a stomach flu but i am not sure. i started feeling iffy stomach pains for a few days which turned into diarrhea a few days after. That ended, but i stll have irregular bowel movements. however, i don't have any other symptoms besides these inconsistent cramps in my abdominal section. These can come at any time but are the worst in morning when i wake up. During the day they are ok and only last for about a minute or so, and when they do, soemtimes i have to go to the bathroom and sometimes not, bowel movements may/may not releive it either. Also, it feels like there is a ball in my stomach at most times of the day, i cant really tell whether i am hungry or not, and eat whenever i feel somewhat hungry. This has been going on for about ten days now, i went to my reuglar MD and he says it is a passing virus, I was prescribed donnatal to releive the spasms that i get and i wondering if they are going to eventually subside or not.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 pm

User avatar Hi Kvincench,
Thank you for your post. Your symptoms are of recent onset. As my reply to zulu_kilo's question indicates, i feel that you also should start with a baseline investigation such as a stool routine. Your doctor presumably, may insist on it.This could very well be a passing 'flu'. Follow up with your doctor and in the event the symptoms happen to continue, may need to be investigated further.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us