Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Mononucleosis after 2 yrs

bkd - Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:47 pm

I had "Mono" 2 years ago. It began with a slight soar throat & stabbing pain in my ribs on the right side.

Recently I've been experiencing that same stabbing pain, in the same spot. I notice it more when I am walking or doing other physical activity. It doesn't bother me when I lay very still on my back, but it is uncomfortable to lay on either side, or my stomach. I recognize that the stress factor has been more prevalent lately (which is what the Dr. told me probably set it off 2 years ago).

Can symptoms re-surface after this long? Is there any other things that could cause this pain? Cost/Lack of good insurance is an issue, so I don't want to go to the Dr. so she can tell me just to take it easy.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:41 am

Kindly let us know which pain you are referring to and your past history in order to make it easier to answer your query.
 bkd - Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:53 pm

The pain is kind of a crampy pain (sometimes "expanding" or bloating) in my right side, generally under my rib cage (sometimes I can feel it in the same place in my back) & sometimes I feel the same type of pain on the left (between my rib cage and waist line).

I have no fever. No diarhea. No swollen glands. I did have a sore throat for a few days, but this could be for various other reasons.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:52 am

It doesn't sound like resurfacing of 'mono'. For pains such as the ones you are experiencing, there could be a number of causes. However, one may start by investigating for a spinal cause (radiculopathy).