Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Illegal prescription of Diazapam to severe alcoholic

 nutsformutts - Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:38 pm


Not sure who to speak to, but I know someone who is a SEVERE alcoholic (ie: 2 bottles of hard liquor per day). Her "boyfriend" is a surgeon and is prescribing her Diazapam (Valium). She is sooo drunk that she can barely walk and constantly falls down - The doctor boyfriend is TOTALLY aware of her alcoholism. She is also a diabetic and he often brings her candy.

We suspect the worst here . . . he has a lot to gain if something happens to her.

My question is if he can legally prescribe this stuff to her, knowing she drinks excessively every day. And if so, how do I report him and to whom?

We have no evidence other than being a witness to her alcoholism - and of course the pharmacy can back up the surgeon Doctor prescribing these.

And no, this is NO joke.
Thanks for your response.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:00 pm

User avatar Hi,
Without hearing both sides of an argument it won't be wise for anyone to venture an 'expert' opinion on this kind of situation.
Each country has its own rules and regulations regarding this.The reporting authorities also vary from country to country and sometimes within different parts of the same country.
The most sensible thing for you to do is to consult a lawyer experienced in this type of problems.No doubt, he/she will be in a better position to guide you about how to go about in whichever country you happen to reside.Wishing you good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us