Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Appendicitis vs Food Poisoning vs Ovarian Torsion

medques1 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Is it possible for appendicitis to start off with extreme pain/cramping/vomiting-- but then progressively feel better over the next day or two? Or would the fact that it feels better mean that it wasn't appendicitis at all?

My situation is complicated by the fact that I think that I had a case of food poisoning this week (lunch on Monday seemed bad). I began to feel slightly queasy that evening, and Tuesday I belched a lot and still felt a little queasy. Wednesday I began to have a stomach ache- progressively got worse- and then began vomiting around 5pm. I continued to vomit (diarrhea also) at least once per hour until 5am on Thursday. I also had severe abdominal cramping, the worst I've ever had, during those 12 hours. I don't have health insurance, so I went to an Urgent Care clinic (as opposed to an ER). Judging from where my pain was (right lower quadrant), they felt that it was either appendicitis or ovarian torsion. Since then, however, I feel much better. Still have pain/tenderness in my right lower abdomen, but not nearly as bad. I figured that since it feels better, I can stop worrying that it could be appendicitis. But- the pain IS still there to an extent. If I had health insurance this would be a no-brainer (I would have gone to the ER immediately)... but I'm hesitant to go for a KUB or CT if this was just a case of food poisoning. As for the ovarian possibility, I do plan to see a doctor soon for an annual exam. Just want some advice on whether I should still be worried about appendicitis or not.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 am

It is probable that acute appendicitis can resolve spontaneously.

Once appendicitis begins,it can progress to florid appendicitis, can form an appendix mass or resolve spontaneously, based on many factors.

Based on your description alone one can't hazard a guess as to whether it was appendicitis or something else.Diagnosis of appendicitis is primarily clinical, supported by raised total white cell count,polymorphonuclear leucocytosis in the differential count and ultrasonographic evidence (if present).

Ideally, you must go through the above mentioned tests following a thorough clinical examination.