Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Greyish liquid coming out with feces

corinnemc320 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Sometimes when I go, there is this liquid that comes out. It is kind of grey and has no smell. I usually have problems with gas and constipation, but I have no pain. I went to the doctor (but I forgot to tell him) and he examined my stomach and he said it was okay, but I was quite underweight and should eat more. What's going on?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:33 am

Have you consulted your GP yet? It is better, as a couple of things that you will need first are a DRE(digital rectal examination) & a stool microscopy (especially if you reside in the tropics or sub-tropical zones) to exclude helminthic or parastic diseases(such as amebiasis/giardiasis).The discharge also needs to be cultured.

If nothing turns up at the end of this, then further investigations such as fiberoptic sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy may be needed to exclude IBD(inflammatory bowel disease) or other forms of colitis.