Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gallbladder pain? Help!!

 bluestreak - Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:18 am

Has anyone experienced gallbladder pain in these areas? Is this normal?
Pain is not in just the right rib area ANYMORE...that's where it all started two months ago...but now both left & right ribs--front & back. In stomach area, even in the back directly behind stomach... Chest, sometimes left or right of sternum. Both shoulder blades...stiff neck. These pains are all intermittent...never all at the same time. Also don't have to eat anything greasy at this point to have pain off & on. Of course it does get worse after I make the mistake of eating greasy food.

The Dr's want my gallbladder out & so do I...but it this normal for gallbladder related pain? Help!!

Thanks in advance,
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:12 am

User avatar Hi bluestreak,
Generally speaking gallbladder dysfunction causes the following symptoms: Pain located on the right side (right upper quadrant), pain in the upper middle abdomen, pain which radiates to the back especially to the right shoulder blade, worsens after eating or drinking greasy high fat foods or fluids, chest pain under the breastbone. Abdominal gas and bloating may cause pain across the abdomen. If cardiology anomalies have been ruled out as a cause for left sided chest pain, I would attribute it to other causes for example, muscular in nature. If the doctors have suggested removal of your gallbladder then I would suggest you follow their advice.
 wiggybaby - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:48 pm

my daughter is 30 yrs old. she is a surviver of childhood cancer (hogkins) she has been in remission for 18 yrs.( thats suppose to be a good thing) she started having health problems about the age of 22, she has kidney stones at least once a month, adhesions removed from her abdomin, a complete hysterectomy, 19 polyps removed from her colon, diagnosed with ic, blood in her urine everytime its tested, constant infections, most of this has occured in the last year, and now what seems to be a gallbladder problem she has been vomiting greeness foam, sever abdominal pain, weight loss, black stool, tingling face, but no fever.

do you think all of these health problems at such a young age is do to the radical chemotherapy and radiation she had as a child?

she finished high school at an alternitve school due to all the heath problems, she managed to get through nail tech school, and started medical school but was unable to finish. everytime she has tried to work it has allways been short term.

she has been canceled from the insurance co, an now tring to get ssi or disability. do you know of any programs or clinical trails that she could possibly benifit from? needless to say she's depressed, an tried suicide last month.

i know you are all very busy, but i hope you can take the time to help me find some answers. i love my daughter very much, an i don't want her to give up on life.

worried sick :(

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us