Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain on right side under rib cage

glowy_002 - Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:47 am

I am 26 years old female who stays home with her son. I rarely exercise, occasionally have drinks. 5 months ago after eating chinese food I got a sharp pain on my right side under my rib cage, the pain got worst as the minutes passed. The pain went away but for 4 days afterwards, it would come back after I ate something. I went to the doc & he took an x-ray of my stomach & ribs, and he said it was normal except that I had a lot of stool so he gave me laxatives. A couple of weeks later I had an ultrasound which came out normal. A week ago I went for a power walk & after my big dinner, the sharp pain came back! It hurts right under my right rib cage & hurts more when I take deep breaths, yawn, sneeze or laugh hard. I went back to the doctor and she only gave me ranitidine. A day after the pain started getting worst so I went back & the doctor said the main concern for pain in that area is the liver and gall bladder, so they drew my blood & that came back normal. Now after a week it still hurts and now the pain radiates thru my lower back. I'm really concerned about this now & have no idea what it would be! Do you have any idea what this could be? Please I need your help!
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Dear Glowy, My first impression upon reading your post was a gallbladder attack but apparently your blood tests and ultrasound came back negative? Does the area hurt when you touch it? Like a rib or chostrochrondritis? I would suggest going back to your physician and let him know that the pain is worse.
Its frustrating to say the least. I wish you luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us