Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: pain on right side under rib cage

glowy_002 - Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:47 am

I am 26 years old female who stays home with her son. I rarely exercise, occasionally have drinks. 5 months ago after eating chinese food I got a sharp pain on my right side under my rib cage, the pain got worst as the minutes passed. The pain went away but for 4 days afterwards, it would come back after I ate something. I went to the doc & he took an x-ray of my stomach & ribs, and he said it was normal except that I had a lot of stool so he gave me laxatives. A couple of weeks later I had an ultrasound which came out normal. A week ago I went for a power walk & after my big dinner, the sharp pain came back! It hurts right under my right rib cage & hurts more when I take deep breaths, yawn, sneeze or laugh hard. I went back to the doctor and she only gave me ranitidine. A day after the pain started getting worst so I went back & the doctor said the main concern for pain in that area is the liver and gall bladder, so they drew my blood & that came back normal. Now after a week it still hurts and now the pain radiates thru my lower back. I'm really concerned about this now & have no idea what it would be! Do you have any idea what this could be? Please I need your help!
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Dear Glowy, My first impression upon reading your post was a gallbladder attack but apparently your blood tests and ultrasound came back negative? Does the area hurt when you touch it? Like a rib or chostrochrondritis? I would suggest going back to your physician and let him know that the pain is worse.
Its frustrating to say the least. I wish you luck.