Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Is it possible to have gas 30mins-60mins prior to eating

samir88357 - Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:00 am

My roomate and I are debating the following - Whether or not we can have gas (farts) after eating, around 30mins-60mins after. Please clarify with as much details as possible. I have already asked a MD. online and she said that yes it is possible but my roomate is so hardheaded he won't buy it. Thank you!
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:50 pm

Hi Samir, Eating stimulates peristalsis of your stomach and bowels so it is quite normal to have gas or even have a urge to have a bowel movement after eating. Its not gas or fecal matter from what you just ate but from what is in your bowel from previous intake.
Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us