Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: IBS, air, pains

enaid7649 - Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:15 am

I have IBS, have had over a year. Mostly IBS-D except when diet and medicine changes might cause me to have Constipation.

Sometimes it's as if things are trapped. In the upper left I get what my dr. calls "trapped air". I can take a deep breath and hear what sounds like a frog. ;) He says this is trapped in the bend of my colon. Possible?

Is it possible to have chest pains related to IBS? These last couple weeks I have had my regular symptoms of IBS but have had chest pain as well. It is in the middle and in my upper back in the middle as well. Also upper abdominal pains, as well as my other usual pains. Right now it's tender with the constipation, but am not normally this way so don't know if the chest pains are normal for this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:01 pm

User avatar Dear enaid7649,
Sometimes chest pain is not originating from the chest itself, instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include gastritis and gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER. When you have pain in your abdomen, this pain can radiate into the chest, and become confusing with a primary chest pain. In that case careful history and examination will help define the diagnosis. For example, Pain due to gastritis increase either after fasting or after meals, while pain due to gall bladder disorder is associated with fatty meals.
Since the pain you have is related to your GI condition (abdominal pain etc), it is more likely to be of GI origin.
If the chest pain remains after you have your GI problems solved, you better visit your doctor again for further investigations.
Good luck