Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Small lump on anus

TeacupHuman - Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:59 am

Hi!

I'm nearly 18 and I have a small lump on my anus that I first noticed a few years ago, but as it doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort I wasn't concerned. It isn't a different colour from the rest of my skin and as far as I can tell it doesn't fit with any symptoms of piles. I also looked up symptoms for colon cancer (just to check) but have nothing similar to what is described. Although there's no pain I'm slightly worried about what it could be.

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:03 pm

User avatar Hi,
As you have missed out many details regarding the swelling, i will provide you with some of the possible causes of a swelling in that vicinity.

Some of the possibilities include,

- a perianal hematoma (slightly bluish, located at the anal margin, follows bleeding from tiny perianal veins as a result of sudden increasing of pressures in them by acts such as coughing, straining at stool etc),

- Condyloma acuminatum: caused by the epidermotropic human papillomavirus (HPV). Perhaps, the most common sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is the third most common cutaneous manifestation in HIV-infected patients, detected in >30% of the seropositive cases.They are usually skin-colored,r pink or whitish.
Risk factors: multiple sexual partners, early coital age, Smoking, & oral contraceptives, are risk factors for acquiring condylomata.

It spreads by skin to skin contact and therefore, actual vaginal or anal intercourse is not mandatory for acquiring this infection.

- Other skin lesions which can occur anywhere such as, nevi, cuteneous malignancies(melanomatous & non-melanomatous) also should figure in the differential diagnosis.

You must show it to your family doctor, as diagnosis in these cases depends a lot on the morphology of the lesion (followed by laboratory testing).
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us