Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Pain in stomach

jeff frmr - Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:52 am

I have been experiencing a constant sharp pain in the lower right side of my stomach. What could this be? My wife is wanting me to see a doctor, but I don't know if this is something that will pass.

Thank you.

Jeff
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:43 pm

Pain between the umbilicus and the symphysis pubis emanates from hindgut organs (eg, distal one third of the transverse colon, descending colon, rectosigmoid region).

Pain in the right lower quadrant may be diffuse, as in early appendicitis, or crampy and nonradiating, as in ectopic pregnancy. Colon obstruction secondary to colon cancer, diverticulitis, and ureterolithiasis are common causes of pain in this area. Yersinia enterocolitica and Campylobacter sp., may mimic appendicitis and cause right lower quadrant pain, anorexia, low grade fever, and vomiting preceding the onset of diarrhea leading to a syndrome of mesenteric adenitis (lymph node enlargement) and terminal ileitis. The classic presentation of Crohn's disease is that of colicky right lower quadrant pain and diarrhea. Low-grade fever and weight loss are frequently present as well. High fever indicates a possible infectious complication (ie, abscess). Hematochezia occurs in a minority of patients, most often in those with colonic involvement.