Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Dull pain lower left near bowel

 triAthlete - Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:56 am

for 7 days now I have had a dull but constant pain on the left side below my stomach above my pubic bone. I thought I was possibly just constipated so I took laxatives and now have been to toilet every day for 3 days but pain is still there. Hurts to run and i notice it when walking or standing to sitting etc. Constant andbsull and uncomfortable.pain Does not move.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:25 pm

User avatar Hi,
You seem to be describing a pain in the supra-pubic region to the left of the mid line, which is not radiating and related to movement.

The first possibility that comes to my mind is a muscle strain or a partial tear of one of the anterior abdominal wall muscles.This can happen during exercising
(i gather from your profile that you are a professional long distance triathlete). These may be associated at times with bruising of the abdominal wall (more in favor of a significant muscle tear). Rarely may present as a traumatic parietal herniation.

There are other causes as well. Some of the other possibilities to consider in this situation are,
- diverticular disease,
- parasitic diseases such as amebiasis,
- intestinal helminthic infestations,&
- urinary tract infections (ex; cystitis)/calculi.

You need to consult your family doctor who after a thorough physical examination will be in a better position to refer you to the right specialist if indicated.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us