Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Lower Left Stomach Hunger Pain

 TheFireMan - Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:26 pm


I have recently been experiencing what feels like hunger pain in the lower left bottom side of my stomach. It is not painful but it is uncomfortable. It seems to be aggravated when I eat and only happens every once in a while. This has been going on for about two weeks now and can't really tell what it could be. I've tried Zantac 150 and Prilosec but not much help has came from those two. Any idea of what it could be? Also, I have no other side effects, no nausea, no vomiting, no actual sharp pain, just what feels like hunger pain.

Thank You
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:04 am

User avatar Hi,
I take it that you mean that you have this hunger pain-like sensation in your left iliac region( or perhaps the left lower quadrant ).

Your complaint is rather vague and there are no other symptoms to go by. To some, hunger pains may mean pain felt on an empty stomach and which gets relieved by food intake. This was considered as a typical symptom of a duodenal ulceration. Gastric ulcers on the other hand, used to present with pain following the intake of food. Peptic ulcers of today do not seem to follow this text-book symptomatology (thanks to the H2 blockers, PPIs and the like) .

Some of the many possibilities to consider in this situation are,
- diverticular disease,
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS),
- inflammatory bowel disease.
- peptic ulcer disease,
- parasitic diseases such as amebiasis,
- helminthic infestations,&
- urinary tract infections/calculi.

Ideally, you should consult your family doctor who would no doubt get the basic labs done as well as a stool and urine routine. The results of these tests will guide further work up as indicated.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us