Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Constant pain in RUQ no one can figure out - help.

 Edward113 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:58 am


Have been having constant RUQ pain for better than a month. Have made multiple visits to both my Primary and GI. Test that have been run by Primary - LFT, CBC and the old finger trick. Test that have been run by GI - Hep Panel abc, ANA, AMA, Ceruloplasmin, Alpha-1, Iron, TIBC, Ferritin, Ultra Sound, Upper and Lower GI and CT scan. All have been normal. GI seems to think IBS and am on 3rd med (Glycopyrrolate). A year ago had my Gall Bladder removed due to 13% usage determined by HIDA w/ CCK.

What else can be looked at? I'm tired of the constant pain.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:25 pm

User avatar Dear Edward113,
Dysfunction of the Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is one of the considerable causes of abdominal pain in this part of the abdomen following removal of the gall bladde. Some describe this condition as postcholecystectomy syndrome. The sphincter is a one-way valve that allow the passage of the biliary scretions into the Bowel Gut. When it becomes tight, no adequate drainage of the pancreatic and bile ducts occurs. The pressure rises inside the ducts results in pain similar to that of gallstone disease.
Manometric study is done in conjunction with an ERCP to diagnosis this condition. The dysfunction can be corrected by surgerical or endoscopic procedures.
The upper endoscopy would rule out many of the major upper GI diseases
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us