Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in my upper Abdomen

 cmhall - Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:47 pm

I am a 33 year old male. Over the last 6 -8 months I have been having a reoccuring pain in my upper Abdomen area. The pain has never been severe but often times persistant and is very dull. At times it's almost unnoticable. It is located just to the left of my breatbone and down just a little probably about an inch or two. Often times when the pain occurs I seem to belch alot. It doesn't seem to be affected any more than usual after I eat. This is something that I plan to have checked but was wondering if anyone had any information they could give me.

 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:45 pm

Get your doctor to examine you to decide if the location of pain is an indication for the Helicobacter pylori test. Centrally located upper abdominal pain is usually suggestive of peptic ulcer disease (PUD), gastritis or gallbladder disease. The test mentioned would exclude Helicobacter pylori-associated PUD or gastritis.

A stool analysis, gastroscopy and abdominal ultrasound are other investigations that your doctor may order if the H. pylori test proves inconclusive. Have you not thought of seeing a doctor since the onst of symptoms 6-8 months ago?

Please update us with any results.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 cmhall - Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:54 am

When I first started feeling the pain it would only last for maybe a day or two. Then I wouldn't notice it for maybe a week to a couple weeks. This is the worst it has been in a long time and I now realize this is something that I definately need to get checked. Today the pain is more like a burning preasure. I will go and have this checked. Thanks for your input.

 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:20 pm

Please come back to the message boards with the results of your tests.
We are always interested to know if advice given on this website has helped the patient in any way.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us