Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Gallstones

SheaTB - Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:57 am

I was diagnosed with gallstones a month and a half ago...I have had 3 serious episodes of abdominal pain under my rib cage in the past two months. I seem to feel nauseated everytime I eat and have had persistent diarrhea. I had gastric bypass surgery a little over a year ago. I have been assured that there is no problem as far as the gastric bypas is concerened. Could the nausea and diarrhea be caused by the gallstones? I have been puttong off seeing a surgeaon because I do not want to be out of work for surgery right now. What could happen if I continue to wait and how likely is it that something will happen?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:42 am

User avatar Hi SheaTB,
Generally speaking with gallbladder disease/ gallstones etc. when this starts producing symptoms the recommendation is removal. Nausea and pain are the prevalent symptoms which may worsen and become more frequent. The gallbladder may become infected, a stone may lodge in the bile duct, causing an obstruction, etc. Again if the recommendation has been made for removal, I would suggest you listen to their advice. The majority of good risk patients who undergo elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal by approx 4 small incisions approx 1 inch in length) are sent home within 24 hours. Here is a web link for you to view this procedure verses an open cholecystectomy (which by the way is a larger incision and requires greater recovery time). http://www.medicinenet.com/cholecystectomy/article.htm