Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gallstones

SheaTB - Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:57 am

I was diagnosed with gallstones a month and a half ago...I have had 3 serious episodes of abdominal pain under my rib cage in the past two months. I seem to feel nauseated everytime I eat and have had persistent diarrhea. I had gastric bypass surgery a little over a year ago. I have been assured that there is no problem as far as the gastric bypas is concerened. Could the nausea and diarrhea be caused by the gallstones? I have been puttong off seeing a surgeaon because I do not want to be out of work for surgery right now. What could happen if I continue to wait and how likely is it that something will happen?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:42 am

User avatar Hi SheaTB,
Generally speaking with gallbladder disease/ gallstones etc. when this starts producing symptoms the recommendation is removal. Nausea and pain are the prevalent symptoms which may worsen and become more frequent. The gallbladder may become infected, a stone may lodge in the bile duct, causing an obstruction, etc. Again if the recommendation has been made for removal, I would suggest you listen to their advice. The majority of good risk patients who undergo elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal by approx 4 small incisions approx 1 inch in length) are sent home within 24 hours. Here is a web link for you to view this procedure verses an open cholecystectomy (which by the way is a larger incision and requires greater recovery time). http://www.medicinenet.com/cholecystectomy/article.htm
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us