Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Do I have Celiac?

bakhteria - Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:58 pm

I find this Gliadin stuff very confusing. My doctor diagnosed me with IBS and said that since Celiac is often under diagnosed, he would like to do a immunoglobulin panel as well. The test came back as following:

Component Low Range High Range Range Unit Results Analysis
ENDOMYSIAL ANTIBODY Negative
IGG 751 1560 mg/dl 1200
IGA 82 453 mg/dl 211
IGM 48 304 mg/dl 106
TTG <5 U/ml <3
GLIADIN AB IGG <11 U/ml <3
GLIADIN AB IGA <11 U/ml 56 high

So how is it that EMA and TTG are negative but Gliadin IGA is 500%+ the max? I thought that EMA and TTG were more sensitive and specific. I know that NIH does not recommend Gliadin tests for Celiac any more but their reasoning was that it wasn't as sensitive not that it is in accurate.
I have mouth ulcers that I get every once in a while and all else is fine. My CBC, liver, and kidney functions were fine with no calcium or potassium deficiencies.
So the question remains, do I have Celiac?
 julie5914 - Wed May 18, 2005 12:47 pm

I think they usually call these inconclusive blood tests - it could be that you have gluten sensitivity rather than celiac. If you need to know for sure, you will need an endoscopy. Otherwise, you can try a gluten-free diet (see celiac.com for more info or find a book on this) to see if it helps. After about a month on the diet, you can then challenge it by eating wheat and see what happens. This will not necessarily mean celiac for sure, but at least you will know what is bothering you. I am not a doctor - this info is just from my own research in dealing with the same problem.