Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Possible Giardia

bdaniels1@austin.rr.com - Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:27 am

My family (husband, 3 kids ages 6, 3 and 2) have been ill for two weeks. We have intermitent diarrhea (thick and sometimes slimy in my daughters diaper), stomach pains, bloating, flatulance, and some naseau and vomiting. We found out that a child that played at our home exactly 7 days prior to our first symptoms was diagnosed with Giardia. We collected stool from our youngest children (who at the time were having the most acute symptoms). We were just told that the tests showed no Giardia. From all the research I have done, we seem to be a text book case. I was very suprised at the outcome. Is it possible to have false negatives? Will a doctor ever treat you for it based on the evidence or do they HAVE to have a positive test result? Any suggestions?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:33 pm

User avatar Did the stool analysis show any abnormalities. Most infective causes of diarrhea lead to similar clinical pictures. If you still have the symptoms maybe you should do another stool analysis possibly at another lab to search for a causative organism.