Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain in right side

 amy050300 - Tue May 10, 2005 9:10 am

I have a pain on my right side, slightly under my rib cage. It's been there for about 4 mths. It's kind of between my hip bone and the lower part of my rib. It is not constant... it only really happens when I am laying on my left side, after about 3 minutes a sharp pain will start to present in my right side, to the point that I have to change postiion. It typically goes away immediatly (once I change postiion) however today it just feels like a dull ache that is still there. I should also say that I could try to fall asleep on my left side and have to move because of the pain, however in the morning I can awake laying on my left side and have no pain at all. It's just that when it's there, it really hurts!

I've had blood tests done for liver function etc., I've had ultrasounds done of my spleen, kidney, lower lung... yet nothing appears to be wrong.

I'm just concerned about why the pain is there, and the fact that I have 4 weeks pregnant I really want to make sure I'm ok... or not.

My doctor has told me that she just doesn't know what else to do at this point... so any help would be appreciated.

 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue May 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Dear Amy,

Have you asked your gynaecologist about your condition?

best regards,
 amy050300 - Wed May 11, 2005 10:49 am

No I have not, I didn't really think of asking her.. I have been seeing a fertility specialist for the last 6 mths. We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years, I had 3 miscarriages last year (one involving a D&C) and have had so many ultrasounds and blood tests, that I I assumed that they would have caught it with all the testing.

My pregnancy is at 5 weeks right now, I did fertility medication for the first time last month (IUI process), but have been taking the progesterone supplement since December (off and on - time of conception until day my period is due to start, when I had a negative result I stopped the progesterone).

So this is something I should bring up with my fertiity specialist or my ob/gyn?

Thanks! Amy
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 pm

Well, I think it'd be wise to tell your fertility/gyn doctors... since nothing have been proven by regular labs or ultrasound....may be it's something they have a background of, with your medical history with them?

Best wishes,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us