Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: New question

markee_rae32 - Sun May 15, 2005 5:25 pm

I am 16 years of age and I'm 5'3.5 and weigh 191 lbs. My BMI is 33.45. I workout everyday and play varsity softball..My arms and legs are toned and i have a thin face. When you look at me you can tell i workout because the only big part of me is my lower stomach. I don't eat a lot and i eat fairly healthy...yet i can't seem to lose any weight...i have tried all the miracle diets...pilates...taebo..and i still just keep maintaining where i am now. i haveeven tried anorexia but that didn't work either...(don't worry i wasn't that dedicated and won't do it again)....everything i do and everything i eat just keeps me at the same weight....i can't lose and it sux....

can i have a gastric bypass surgery?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 16, 2005 5:56 am

User avatar Hi markee_rae32,
Being anorexic certainly isn't the answer. Gastric bypass surgery contains many risks. Although it is effective for many grossly overweight people, I would not recommend it personally unless someone has psychological therapy for a period of time prior to this procedure. Primarily, due to the fact that it is an emotional procedure as well as a physical one, which most people are unaware of. A nutritionist or dietician is someone who would be excellent in providing a meal plan for a healthy lifestyle. You may want to talk to your physician about this option. Also credible local work out gyms usually have a specialist available. An instructor at the gym would be able to direct you in exercises that target that particular area.